Crewe Town Council makes a financial contribution each year to help Cheshire East Council and the Police deter and react to crime in the area, through the use of Closed Circuit Television (CCTV) cameras.
There are 37 cameras in Crewe, which are monitored by trained staff 24 hours a day/7 days a week at the control centre in Macclesfield. As well as their own observations, the team responds to requests to identify individuals and record evidence.
All CCTV Operators have annual training in the following qualifications:
- BTEC Level 2 Diploma in CCTV Operations
- BTEC Level 3 Advanced CCTV Operations
- BTEC Level 3 CCTV Legislation
You can find out more about the CCTV provision in Crewe (and where the cameras are located) here:
Future plans for CCTV coverage in Crewe
- Realign the CCTV coverage in Crewe to better match the day and night-time needs.
- Mobile CCTV cameras to target hotspot areas as they develop.
- Investment in new transmission technology to improve the quality of the images received by the control room in live time.