Of the meeting held 25th May 2021
In attendance: Cllr John Rhodes, Cllr Lena Hogben, Cllr Dennis Straine-Francis, Cllr Tom Dunlop, Cllr Emma Angier and Cllr Julian Proffit
1. To receive apologies for absence.
Cllrs Gary Palin and Janos Toth
2. To note declarations of Members’ interests.
3. To elect a Chair and Deputy Chair of the committee for 2021/22
i. That Cllr John Rhodes is elected Chair of the committee
ii. That Cllr Dennis Straine-Francis is elected Deputy Chair of the committee
4 Public Participation
No public in attendance or comments submitted
5 To confirm and sign the Minutes of the Planning Committee Meeting held on Tuesday 20th April 2021
RESOLVED: That the minutes are approved as a true record of the meeting
6 To consider making a response to the following planning applications:
Application No: 21/2067N
Proposal: Hybrid planning application comprising:
(i) Full planning application for the demolition of the existing bus station and creation of new bus station and multi-storey car park and associated landscaping, public realm and other works including new electricity substation; and
(ii) Outline application (including means of access) for mixed use town centre development including café/restaurant, leisure, gymnasium, bowling, complementary retail uses (class E) and cinema (sui generis) use and associated public realm works.
Location: ROYAL ARCADE, Land bounded by Victoria Street, Queensway, Delamere Street and Lawrence Street, CREWE
The committee discussed the application in detail.
RESOLVED: That this committee welcomes the principle of investment in the bus station and town centre regeneration, but seeks significant amendments in the application to reflect the ambitions for Crewe, the sustainability demands of a climate emergency and the pre-application consultation discussions. Therefore the committee objects to the design proposals in their current form, due to their lack of consideration for sustainability, lack of ambition and failure to improve the architectural value of the town centre. The committee seeks fully revised planning submission that addresses the following aspirations and issues:
1. The proposals better reflect the climate emergency (as formally recognized by Cheshire East Council)
2. EV Charge Points – must be a minimum 10% provision plus installing cabling for additional 10% to be installed in future as demand develops
3. Solar Panels (PV) must be installed for the available roof footprint
4. Cycle parking provision must be increase, significant, attractive and prominently accessible
5. Increase in tree planning and greening of the proposals
6. Places for nature – The development should consider the Wildlife Planning Initiative, which seeks to build in pollinator habitats/hibernation/dormancy (eg bee bricks), Bird nesting aspects (for a mix of bird species including species such as swifts and common garden birds)
7. Elevations to include for green wall planting.
8. Perforated metal design does not include for the local interpretation referred to during consultation
9. Landscaping does not provide adequate greening – increase tree planting on south elevation
10. Elevations do not demonstrate sensitivity or ambition for sense of arrival
11. Elevations do not represent the place brand values
12. Operational concerns raised by bus operator, for example relating to lack of bus lay over parking
Application No: 21/2386N
Proposal: Conversion of Nags Head Pub with residential apartment at first floor into 9 bed HMO
Location: NAGS HEAD INN, 157, MARKET STREET, CREWE, CW1 2ND
RESOLVED: That this committee objects to the application on the following grounds:
1. Over development of the site
2. Low quality housing provision - Bedrooms 1 to 5 of minimal proportions; no lounge; Potentially 18 individuals sharing the building – kitchen inadequate & Waste storage inadequate
3. Increased on street parking leading to localised highways issues
4. Compounded local highways congestion issues due to on street parking
5. Increased ASB as a result of waste left on street – CEC Cleaner Crewe identifies HMO’s and unmanaged residential waste bins as a leading cause
6. Loss of amenity to neighbouring residents due to noise and over crowding
7. Proliferation of HMOs in Crewe is identified as a trigger to numerous social issues as confirmed by the developing and emerging Article 4 Directives
Application No: 21/2407N
Proposal: Advertisement consent for 1no non illuminated fascia sign.
Location: MARKET HALL, EARLE STREET, CREWE, CW1 2BL
Application No: 21/2411N
Proposal: Replacement refrigeration plant and lighting
Location: 645, WEST STREET, CREWE, CHESHIRE
The committee seeks that the residents’ comments are taken in to consideration
Application No: 21/2300N
Proposal: Advertisement consent for no. 8 various signs Illuminated and non illuminated signage.
Location: UNIT 1, 645, WEST STREET, CREWE, CW2 8SL
Application No: 21/2463N
Proposal: Proposed two storey rear extension
Location: 195, BROUGHTON ROAD, CREWE, CW1 4NP
Application No: 21/2396N
Proposal: Proposed first floor front & rear single storey extension.
Location: 110, VALLEY ROAD, WISTASTON, CW2 8LE
Application No: 21/2434N
Proposal: Construction of single storey side and rear extension
Location: 36, FRANK WEBB AVENUE, CREWE, CW1 3NH
Application No: 21/2136N
Proposal: Advertisement consent for 2no. Illuminated fascia signs
Location: 207, NANTWICH ROAD, CREWE, CW2 6DA
Proposal: Rendering to existing brickwork above 1m from ground level, painting of existing brickwork at ground level up to 1m, recladding of existing white painted timber with dark grey composite timber effect panel, and replacement entrance canopy to Crewe House.
Location: CREWE HOUSE, OAK STREET, CREWE
Application No: 21/2152N
Proposal: Rear second storey extension.
Location: 10 , Ludlow Avenue, Crewe, CW1 6DY
Application No: 21/2522N
Proposal: Front Extension to existing dwelling
Location: 9, AVON DRIVE, CREWE, CHESHIRE, CW1 5NJ
Application No: 21/1290N
Applicant: Mr & Mrs James
Proposal: Prior approval of demolition of the existing extension and Conservatory. Re-build extension on similar footprint to form Kitchen and Dining area, extending 4.5m beyond the rear wall, max height of 3.58m and eaves height of 2.5m.
Application No: 21/2660N
Proposal: Proposed single storey front extension, garage & loft conversion with dormers to form extra living accommodation
Location: 10, CARLISLE STREET, CREWE, CW2 7NX
7. To consider making responses to any urgent planning application consultations that have arisen since this agenda was published.
Application No: 20/3762N
Proposal: Residential development for 151 new build dwellings & associated works
Location: Land off Sydney Road, Crewe
RESOLVED: That this committee objects to the proposals on the following grounds:
i. Lack of time for consideration of the application (CEC has shortened the consultation period to below the requisite 21 days)
ii. That the shared waste collection points are impractically far from residences and will lead to localized waste and anti social issues.
iii. That the play area is too far from the residences and highest density aspect of the development.
iv. That the play area is inadequate provision for the density of the proposals
v. That the development will lead to significant localized highways issues due to traffic and congestion
vi. That associated traffic and congestion will adversely impact air quality
vii. That the site does not meet the net gain biodiversity policies and aims of planning and Wildlife Planning Initiative should be considered and provision for wildlife nesting and habitats should be included (eg pollinator and nesting bird infrastructure, wildlife dormancy provision, native planting, fruit trees and shrubs)
viii. That the proposal provides for over development and the high density/ affordable housing aspect of the proposals are concentrated in one area and should be spread through the development evenly
Application No: 21/2562N
Proposal: Refurbishment of car showroom and servicing facility (including MOT). Removal of showroom accommodation and canopy to the side of the building and squaring off (on plan) of the showroom with small extensions. The application proposes to rearrange the site organisation and swap the locations of the customer parking and the used car display. To facilitate this a new site access off Weston Road Service Road is requested. A substantially similar scheme was granted planning consent on 11/09/2015, ref:15/2462N
Location: BLUE BELL, FOURTH AVENUE, CREWE, CW1 6XH
Application No: 21/2601N
Proposal: DEMOLITION OF EXISTING BUILDING AND ERECTION OF A RESIDENTIAL BLOCK OF FLATS
Location: 2-4, GATEFIELD STREET, CREWE, CW1 2JP
RESOLVED: That this committee supports the principle of the development but seeks the proposals are significantly amended to address the following planning issues:
i. The size of rooms does not universally meet minimum expected standards
ii. Communal waste storage area is too far from some units
iii. Communal waste storage area is not accessible to waste collection service vehicles
iv. Communal waste area should be secured
v. Lack of parking on site and potential issues related to localized on street parking and congestion
vi. Where parking provision is included, there should be provision for EV charging points
vii. Balconies are not large enough to demonstrate private amenity space
viii. Safe by design principles should be demonstrated
ix. Wildlife Planning Initiative should be implemented, for example including bee bricks and nesting block/bricks
x. The development should include for significant roof solar panel (PV) provision to reflect the response to the climate emergency
xi. Increase the provision for cycle storage
xii. Cycle storage should be secure.
8. To note responses submitted under delegation since the previous meeting
9. To note and/or consider consultations and planning policy circulated by the planning authority (Cheshire East Council)
8.1 Final Draft Houses in Multiple Occupation Supplementary Planning Document (“HMO SPD”)
8.2 First Draft Biodiversity Net Gain Supplementary Planning Document (“BNG SPD”)
8.3 Cheshire East Strategic Planning Update
10 To note the date of the next meeting 22nd June 2021 – location and format of the meeting to be confirmed subject to current Covid-19 guidance and restrictions
The meeting closed at 8.45pm
Chair Cllr John Rhodes
Clerk P Turner