Minutes of the Planning Committee Meeting 18th October 2021
Cllr Emma Angier Cllr Tom Dunlop Cllr Hazel Faddes
Cllr Marilyn Houston Cllr John Rhodes Cllr Ben Wye
|1.||To receive apologies for absence.
Cllr Straine Francis
|2.||To note declarations of Members’ interests.
Cllr Rhodes declared a non-pecuniary interest in application 21/4906 as a volunteer governor of the school
|3.||To consider co-option of Cllr Ben Wye to the committee
RESOLVED: That Cllr Wye is co-opted to the committee
Representatives of Crewe FC, a community-led charity football club addressed the committee. Crewe FC has delivered a proposal to Cheshire East Council to use an area of the Georges Playing Fields for the provision of football pitches to provide increased capacity on the town for organised football activities. Crewe FC is seeking support from Crewe Town Council for its proposals. The representatives were thanked for their attendance and the information. It was clarified that their proposals included a potential planning application, which meant the committee could not be in a position of pre-determination and was therefore unable to discuss or give a view on the proposals at this point.
The committee was also addressed by a resident who expressed thanks to the members for their service and also expressed the ambition to become a member of Crewe Town Council.
5 To receive the minutes of the Planning Committee Meeting that took place on Tuesday 21st September 2021
RESOLVED: That the minutes are approved as a true record of the meeting
- To consider making a response to the following planning applications:
|Proposal:||Public realm improvements to Lyceum Square, including facade repainting and replacement building mounted amenity lighting, two new features; a performance structure and raised stage with digital screen and an arts and cultural space beneath the existing open northern Market Shed. These two features will be created using shipping container architecture and include lighting and artwork. Service and emergency access will be retained, and disabled parking will be retained but relocated. Existing surfaces will be retained and repaired with the addition of new floor graphics and Thermoplastic concrete imprinted asphalt. Lyceum Theatre and Crewe Market Hall, will be enhanced through new wall mounted amenity lighting. Street greening via raised planters|
|Location:||Lyceum Square, HEATH STREET, CREWE|
RESOLVED: That, whilst the committee welcomes the investment and enhancements intended within the application, it is sought that amendments are made to address:
- The reinstatement and repairs to the traffic barrier on Heath Street
- Consideration for disabled parking closer to the key features of the town centre (such as the Market Hall and Lyceum Theatre)
- Details of a sustainable maintenance regime for the refurbished public realm, with particular attention to the expected effect of heavy goods vehicle traffic on the different aspects of the paving and surface treatments.
- The recognition of the Climate Emergency and financial prioritisation, in so much as to reduce waste in consideration of proposals associated with the Lyceum Powerhouse project, which would likely lead to the removal of proposed improvements associated with the unused market shed within the proposals of this application
- That the floor and fascia artwork is delivered in such a way as to be sensitive to the surrounding buildings and local tastes
- That the Heritage Officer’s comments are also submitted with the committee’s response.
|Proposal:||The proposals can be split into 4 different sets of work. Firstly, install a new access lane along Pyms Lane, this will have its own fast action traffic barrier and bi-fold gate which will be controlled from the existing security hut. Secondly, widen the junction with the unnamed road, providing a dedicated left and right turn lane. This work will also allow a dedicated access lane to be provided between Pyms Lane and the unnamed road. Thirdly, install a new pedestrian access route from the car parking area, avoiding the car park entrance. Finally, widen the access road between the existing car park entrance and roundabout. A new traffic island will then be installed towards the roundabout, this will increase traffic safety in this area.|
|Location:||Bentley Motors Limited, PYMS LANE, CREWE, CW1 3PL|
|Proposal:||Proposed single storey extension to front elevation and additional windows in side elevations.|
|Location:||314, SYDNEY ROAD, CREWE, CW1 5LU|
|Proposal:||Proposed apartments at Second Floor.|
|Location:||15-17, EDLESTON ROAD, CREWE, CW2 7HJ|
RESOLVED: That the committee objects strongly to the application on the following grounds:
- That the proposal represents overdevelopment of the site, providing poor quality of residential accommodation, as recognised in past refused application and dismissed appeal
- Inadequate provision for the storage of waste bins off the highway, which will lead to waste bins being retained on the highway and in the public realm, contrary to the Cheshire East Cleaner Crewe initiative
- Inadequate provision for bike storage, contrary to Cheshire East Planning policy.
- The proposals do not fulfil Planning Policy SC4 (Residential Mix)
- The Proposals do not meet Technical Housing Standards
- The proposals fail to meet Cheshire East Local Plan policies SE1 and SD2 (Positive contribution to local standards and character)
- That the proposals do not meet Housing Standards
|Proposal:||Listed building consent for proposed development of replacement of the existing profiled sheet roofing with composite insulated profiled sheet roofing. The design of the roofs will be modified to create wider gutters, for maintenance access, which result in the height of the existing windows being reduced. The patent glazing at the base of the roof slope will also be removed as part of the replacement roofing|
|Location:||Ruskin Community High School, RUSKIN ROAD, CREWE, CW2 7JT|
|Proposal:||Double storey side extension with part Double/Single storey rear extension|
|Location:||11, PARKSTONE DRIVE, CREWE, CW1 3XP|
The committee seeks that the neighbour comments are considered in detail.
|Proposal:||Change of use to first floor only from Class Use E(a) to Class Use C3(a) with elevational alterations.|
|Location:||169-171, NANTWICH ROAD, CREWE, CHESHIRE, CW2 6DF|
RESOLVED: That the committee seeks that the application is reviewed and amended to address the following:
- That there is inadequate access/egress to the first floor and access/egress should be available to the rear
- That access for future residents to residential waste bins will not be adequate as the distance from their front door as proposed to the rear storage area is excessive, such that it is likely to lead to waste being stored on the street and in the public realm
|Proposal:||Removal of existing bay window and replacement with new porch and cladding|
|Location:||221, BROAD STREET, CREWE, CW1 4JJ|
|Proposal:||Hello there, to build a granny annexe, mother in law is 77 and suffered a stroke|
|Location:||305B, NANTWICH ROAD, CREWE, CW2 6PE|
No objection, subject to such enforceable conditions can be placed to ensure that:
- the proposals, by way of demonstrating back land development, shall not provide for a separate dwelling, a separate lettable unit or for any future subdivision of the property
- That the annex must and can only be occupied by a member of the primary dwelling household
- future use does not cause nuisance to neighbouring properties
- To consider making responses to any urgent planning application consultations that have arisen since this agenda was
|Proposal:||Proposal to install 1 x Graphic vinyl|
|Location:||Tesco Express, TOMMYS LANE, CREWE, CW1 6DN|
|Proposal:||Installation of a pre-fabricated vehicle conditioning chamber for the use in preparing vehicles for Evaporative Emissions Certification testing to UK, European, North American, South South Korean and China standards|
|Location:||Bentley Motors Limited, PYMS LANE, CREWE, CW1 3PL|
|Proposal:||Erection of a small 11Kv substation to serve Crewe Lifestyles Centre, including cable easements, and other ancillary works.|
|Location:||Land to the East, LYON STREET, CREWE|
RESOLVED: That the committee seeks that the designs include for sustainable planted vegetative screening of the installed substation to ensure that there is no negative visual impact on the site as viewed from the roads surrounding.
|Proposal:||Loft conversion and dormer window.|
|Location:||45, ELIOT CLOSE, CREWE, CW1 5HZ|
|Proposal:||Planning application for the demolition of an existing building and the development of a building for B8 use at Units A and B, 1 Weston Road, Crewe, CW1 6BU.|
|Location:||Units A & B, 1, WESTON ROAD, CREWE, CW1 6BU|
No objection, but seek that the following is amended:
- That provision of additional tree planting to more than replace those removed
- That the development demonstrates net biodiversity gain
- That sustainable energy provision is accommodated (eg solar panel/photo voltaic)
- To note responses submitted under delegation since the previous meeting
|9.||To note and/or consider correspondence, consultations, planning policy circulated by the planning authority (Cheshire East Council) and member items
8.1 Member Item - Cllr Wye - 20 Minute Neighbourhoods
The committee expressed support for the principles of the scheme and interest in attendance at the suggested briefing and training
8.2 Member Item – Cllr Faddes – Bus User Survey
Officers will prepare a comparable digital survey, which after consultation with Cllr Faddes, will be shared digitally across council media and with relevant networks.
8.3 Flag Lane Link – Cheshire East Council Highways works
Members agreed to make individual representations related to these proposals
8.4 Leighton Hospital – redevelopment funding support
The Town Clerk was delegated to draft a letter on behalf of the committee for submission in support of the investment in Leighton Hospital
8.5 Great British Railways – Headquarters Competition
It was noted that Cheshire East Council will lead a campaign for Crewe to be the chosen location for the headquarters of Great British Railways.
|10.||To note the proposed date of the next meeting 15th November at 6pm – location and format of the meeting to be confirmed subject to current Covid-19 guidance and restrictions.|
Meeting closed at 7.55pm
Chair Cllr John Rhodes
Clerk P Turner