COVID-19 Community update
Page updated 7 April 2020 21:00
The COVID-19 pandemic has affected everyone in our community. It’s an evolving situation and we are working closely with Cheshire East Council and local community partners to see how essential services can be maintained at this difficult time.
Stay at Home, Protect the NHS, Save Lives
Here’s the full guidance on what everyone must now do: https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus
Share this with everyone. It’s vital that everyone understands this information and acts now to save lives.
Shielding the most vulnerable
Some people with serious underlying health conditions face the highest risk of being hospitalised by coronavirus. Public Health England are urging those people to stay at home to shield them.
- Guidance on Shielding
- Help for the Extremely Vulnerable
- Local assistance is being coordinated by the People Helping People service.
- COVID-19 NHS page – The latest health information and advice.
- NHS guidelines translated into 34 languages
- Public Health England – Frequently Asked Questions about COVID-19
- The Government has launched a Coronavirus Information Service on WhatsApp. This free service is an automated ‘chatbot’ so you can get answers to questions about COVID-19 directly from government.
- Coronavirus business support – This page helps businesses find out how to access the support that has been made available, who is eligible, when the schemes open and how to apply.
- Local Business Helping Business scheme – seeking to match businesses that are in need of help, to those that are in a position to help, across a number of areas. Register here.
Government business grants
Two new grant schemes are being funded by the government in response to the pandemic, which cover three scenarios:
- A small business grant fund of £10,000 for all businesses in receipt of small business rate relief; and
- Grant funding of £10,000 for retail, hospitality and leisure businesses with property –where the rateable value is below £15,000; or
- Grant funding of £25,000 for retail, hospitality and leisure businesses with property – where the rateable value is between £15,000 and less than £51,000.
Receiving a government business grant is a free and automatic service. There is no lengthy application process and no need for businesses to employ any agency or broker. More info: Cheshire East Press Release on COVID19 grants
Can you help people that are self isolating with getting shopping or medical supplies? Or perhaps a friendly phone call or something else?
To offer your support or access help, please register with the People Helping People scheme.
People Helping People: 0300 123 5034
The Talking Newspaper provides a spoken weekly summary of the Crewe and Nantwich Chronicles to visually impaired listeners. They have had to stop their usual distribution of memory sticks which contain the sound files, but the news can still be heard via their website.
If you know anyone that needs extra help and support with freshly cooked meals delivered to their door, a service is being offered by Wishing Well 01270 256919.
Their meal service is £4.75 daily for a meal, pudding and delivery. They can cater for diabetics and other dietary requirements.
They can also offer shopping, befriending and help and advice services.
Want to volunteer? Wishing Well needs help to deliver this service effectively to all those that might need it, so if you can help please get in touch with them on 01270 256919
Here are some of the major closures affecting services locally. For more please check the Cheshire East website.
Council Office closed
Following prevailing advice, all Crewe Town Council Officers are now working from home whenever possible. This means that the Council office is currently closed to visitors. Should you need to contact an Officer, please use email or phone.
This is a fast moving situation and we appreciate all the efforts the community is making to look after themselves and each other. We will be adding further information to this page as it becomes available.